- This event has passed.
Play Therapy with EMDR: Techniques and Strategies to Utilize EMDR with Children and Teens
August 23, 2019 @ 7:30 am - 5:00 pm$140 – $195
This course will focus on play therapy interventions and adaptations for therapists wanting to use EMDR with children and teens. Participants will learn play therapy interventions to assist with all phases of the EMDR protocol. Experiential activities and case examples will be utilized throughout the training to assist clinicians to case conceptualize how to effectively implement the EMDR protocol with children and teens.
Elizabeth Miranda, LCMFT, RPT-S, began her career working with troubled teens in residential, church, and community agencies, she has worked for nearly 15 years as a therapist, focusing on foster/adoptive children and families. She also works with adults, couples, and really enjoys teenagers. Her passion is helping families understand trauma and the unique ways it needs to be treated in relationships. In 2011 she launched a private practice in Leawood, KS where she continues to utilize play therapy in working with families in need.
CEUs: 8 (Play Therapy and EMDR Approved)
Early Bird Member (purchased before August 8th): $160
Early Bird Non Member (purchased before August 8th): $180
Student: $140 *with transcript
Non Member: $195
- Participants of this workshop will review the EMDR protocol while applying common play therapy attachment approaches to understand how EMDR is facilitated with children and teens.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze and discuss information related to the brain and trauma and identify ways to teach parents and children about how the brain works with EMDR for informed consent in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will demonstrate 5 play therapy techniques that aim to increase client engagement in all phases of the EMDR protocol, including assessment of EMDR targets, resourcing, reprocessing, assessing SUD and VOC, closing out incomplete sessions, and body scans.
- Participants of this workshop will create a treatment plan by reviewing case examples and video for what EMDR can look like with children using play therapy techniques while maintaining protocol fidelity in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will describe personal and unique challenges in working with children and when to modify or adjust EMDR protocol to address those needs, including developmental age of the trauma, resource development, and inclusion of caregivers in the play therapy setting.
- Participants of this workshop will utilize Sandtray techniques to create ways to assess for targets, resource clients, and complete reprocessing in the playroom.
- Participants will learn 3 play therapy approaches to identifying and treating pre-verbal trauma in young children through adolescents.
- Participants in this workshop will role play interventions to demonstrate mastery both EMDR and Play Therapy skills to demonstrate learning objectives are achieved in implementing EMDR and Play Therapy.
Refunds will be given for paid continuing education training cancelled by MAPT and for when MAPT relocates training to another region of the state. For attendees who cancel 48 hours prior to the start of the training, a MAPT CREDIT will be provided to attendees for the amount paid, and can be used at a future MAPT training.
APT Provider Number: 08-223